Thursday, September 25, 2008

F18 Build - Part 7

I scratched my head trying to decide how to "elegantly" accommodate the servo wiring in the wings, keeping possible servo repairs in mind. Sniffing around in my scrap bin I found the remains of my CMPro ASW28 wing joiners and immediately knew this was what I wanted. The servo plug fits nicely inside the tube so servo replacement/repair will be easily accomplished without massive deconstructive surgery. First step was to mark out where the tubes would go.Now I have been slowly but surely getting tired of all this manual sanding so out came my trusty Einhell (Dremel look alike). Fitted to this was a DIY router base, the idea coming from, I think, Gert Nieuwoudt.
The working end of the setup.
With the right bit inserted and a sturdy guide it made for a perfectly routered slot for the fibreglass tubes. As the tubes aren't there for structural strength, a couple of dabs of foam safe CA keeps the tubes in place.
All that remained was to add a balsa cap to finish things off.


2 comments:

Johann S said...

Thanks, that homemade router base is a very good idea!!

Izak Theron said...

Glad to be of help. Easily made as well.